Ask a Law Librarian
Please feel free to contact any of our reference librarians with your research assistance questions. Reference librarians are available at the Reference Desk or in their offices. Please feel free to visit us, contact us at 5-9005 or firstname.lastname@example.org with your research questions.
Priority is given to patrons seeking assistance at the reference desk. Email reference service is available to students, faculty, and staff at the University of Iowa.
|Ted Potter||Law Library email@example.com||319-335-9017|
|Ellen Jones||Law Library firstname.lastname@example.org||319-335-6829|
|Noëlle Sinclair||Law Library email@example.com||319-335-9007|
|Druet Cameron Klugh||Law Library firstname.lastname@example.org||319-335-9038|
|Don Ford||Law Library email@example.com||319-335-9068|
|Matthew Braun||Law Library 240Cfirstname.lastname@example.org||319-335-7736|
Reference and Research Services
The Reference Desk, located on the second or main floor of the Law Library, is staffed by a team of professional law librarians who assist patrons with their research needs. A reference librarian is available most, but not all, of the hours the Law Library is open.
While the needs of the University of Iowa law students, faculty, and staff are first priority, the reference librarians also assist students, faculty and staff campus-wide, as well as members of Iowa government, attorneys and members of the general public.
Reference Librarians may:
- help patrons locate Law Library resources
- instruct patrons in the use of library materials and electronic resources
- suggest appropriate resources and research strategies
- look up readily available information, such as legal citation verifications, addresses, or telephone numbers
- assist patrons with locating resources not found in the law library collection
- refer patrons to other libraries or institutions for materials
Reference Librarians are not allowed to:
- conduct legal research on patron's behalf
- interpret the law
- provide legal advice
- read statutes, cases, court rules, or definitions over the phone
- confirm that resources currently are on the shelf and available to use
For more information regarding Reference Services, proceed to the policy on Legal Research and Legal Advice.