Ask a Law Librarian
Please contact any of our reference librarians with your research questions. Reference librarians are available by phone or by email from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday, and from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturday. The Reference Desk email is firstname.lastname@example.org, and the general phone number is (319) 335-9005 - please leave a message.
|Ellen Jones||Law Library email@example.com||319-335-6829|
|Noëlle Sinclair||Law Library firstname.lastname@example.org||319-335-9007|
|Ted Potter||Law Library email@example.com||319-335-9017|
|Druet Cameron Klugh||Law Library firstname.lastname@example.org||319-335-9038|
|Don Ford||Law Library email@example.com||319-335-9068|
|Amy Koopmann||Law Library firstname.lastname@example.org||319-335-9823|
Reference and Research Services
While the needs of the University of Iowa law students, faculty, and staff are first priority, the reference librarians also assist students, faculty and staff campus-wide, as well as members of Iowa government, attorneys, and members of the general public.
Reference Librarians may:
- help patrons locate Law Library resources
- instruct patrons in the use of library materials and electronic resources
- suggest appropriate resources and research strategies
- look up readily available information, such as legal citation verifications, addresses, or telephone numbers
- assist patrons with locating resources not found in the law library collection
- refer patrons to other libraries or institutions for materials
Reference Librarians are not allowed to:
- conduct legal research on patron's behalf
- interpret the law
- provide legal advice
- read statutes, cases, court rules, or definitions over the phone
- confirm that resources currently are on the shelf and available to use
For more information regarding reference services, proceed to the policy on Legal Research and Legal Advice.